As the days get shorter and we head into winter we wanted to share some Crime Prevention tips with you.
* Always lock your car, most cars stolen are unlocked.
* Never leave your car keys near your front door, they can be “fished out” through the letterbox.
* Always turn your alarm on when leaving your home, even if it’s just for a short time.
* Always lock the doors and windows every time you leave the house, even if it’s for a few minutes. Most burglaries only take only a few minutes.
* Leave lights on when you’re going out. Set them on timers, especially if you are away for long periods of time. Turn outside lights on, light up the neighbourhood.
* Don’t let strangers into the apartment blocks. Ensure that you close the front door of the apartment blocks securely when entering and leaving. Front door security codes of the apartment blocks have not been changed in several years, non residents have the codes.
* Photograph all of your valuable items, especially jewellery. The Gardai regularly recover stolen items and your photos may help them determine ownership.
* Don’t allow strangers into your home. Always ask for official identification from all callers (even Gardaí). If you are unsure leave them outside and call the organisation they represent to confirm their identity.
* Tell your next door neighbour if you’re not around and ask them to keep an eye out. And never advertise on social media if you’re away from home.
If you see anything suspicious please call gardai at Cabinteely on 01 6665400 or in an emergency don’t hesitate to call 999 / 112.
If you see a person you don’t recognise loitering in the area call the Gardaí.
If you notice a car parked in the estate that shouldn’t be here, call the Gardaí. There is an ongoing issue of non residents parking cars in the estate and taking public transport or using the estate as a long term car park. There is currently no parking enforcement in the estate.
For more information on how to secure your home visit: Garda Síochána
Residents Association Committee